Proposal: new non-shipping module for examples

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Sat Oct 4 14:54:22 BST 2008

On Donnerstag 02 Oktober 2008 23:14:28 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> I don't think that's the case.
> We can have a switch KDESDK_BUILD_EXAMPLES, which enables/disables building
> the examples together with the rest of kdesdk.
> We don't need (want) to have install rules for the created example
> binaries. But there shouldn't be a real problem adding rules for installing
> the source files instead.

When I started out on KDE programming, I found it difficult to manipulate
CMakeLists spanning over several directories. For example, when you `svn co` a
single example, you might wonder why it does not compile (because the
find_package() and include() macros from the CMakeLists in the above
directories are missing). The examples should be completely separate, i.e.
they should compile without any superdirectories. For the kde-training-kit
module, such a policy could be setup easily, but in another module, one might
fail to remember this more easily.

Stefan