./configure -no-exceptions recommended in qt-copy

Fred Emmott mail at fredemmott.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 11:22:05 BST 2008

Hi,

How much of an effect does this have on modern compilers?

I'd like to suggest removing it from the recommended configure line in
README.qt-copy because:

- I don't believe the overhead will be significant

- It blocks the build of QtXmlPatterns (-no-exceptions -xmlpatterns makes
configure complain, and -no-exceptions just doesn't build xmlpatterns). There's
two problems with this:

- In my opinion, this should stop KDE applications from using QtXmlPatterns -
they should be buildable with a Qt built following the recommendations in
README.qt-copy; I don't think any do at the moment, but it is a very useful
module.

- If distributions (such as slackware and slamd64's current/testing does now)
ships qt4 built following those recommendations, it stops non-KDE apps that
use QtXmlPatterns being built with distribution Qt packages.

Regards,

--
Fred Emmott
(http://www.fredemmott.co.uk)