Proposal: new non-shipping module for examples

Gary Greene greeneg at tolharadys.net
Fri Oct 3 03:54:23 BST 2008

On Thursday 02 October 2008 07:46:16 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2008, Brad Hards wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 October 2008 01:26:44 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > one of the trends i've noticed since starting kde4 is that there is an
> > > increase in high level documentation[1] and that often includes example
> > > implementations. these are usually toy apps or artificially simplified
> > > plugins demonstrating techniques and API usage.
> >
> > OK, so who are these intended for? In my mind, it is the users of the
> > extension APIs who benefit most
>
> it is the users of any API extension or otherwise.
>
> > I think the best approach is to ship it inside the module,
>
> so to get all kde examples you have to download the source of every module
> with examples?
>
> > QCA does this. The version of the API docs on http://api.kde.org ignores
> > the Doxyfile that ships with QCA (why?), but you can see how it could
> > work at http://www.frogmouth.net/qca/apidocs/html/index.html (which is a
> > bit out of date as a reference source), or just build the API
> > documentation yourself.
>
> the links to the source code there are not in a particularly useful state
> for browsing and using as a template starting point either, they are
> html'd.
>
> i'd *like* to give people a whole set of examples covering everything
> possible in KDE that they can compile and play with.

This is a wonderful idea. While I still programmed for Windows, I learned a
great deal about the platform and coding for it from the MSDN examples.
Having this as a separate module makes more sense to me in this regard since
it should never be installed on Joe Bob's computer, but I could see myself
wanting a local copy.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth