Adjustments for signal handling

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Nov 27 13:17:53 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:29:24PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Markus Elfring wrote:
> >Thiago Macieira schrieb:
> >> On the specific cases where the handlers are really needed, we should
> >> do them properly.
> >
> >What should be done with the following update candidates?
> >
> >Bug #156560: signal_exit ...
> >http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/runtime/kdesu/kdesud/kdesud.cpp?
> >revision=720106&view=markup
>
> All of the signals here already quit the application. The only reason for
> having this handler is to print a message.

actually, it unlinks the socket file, too.
so it should be properly serialized like the sigchld handler.

> >Bug #156562: sigAlarm ...
> >http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kdm/kfrontend/kgapp.cp
> >p?revision=861292&view=markup
>
> Oswald, can you comment on this one? There's a timer and an alarm in this
> app. Why both?

the qtimer won't help when the application blocks in an x call until a
network connection breakdown is noticed. this case cannot be serialized
properly. and _exit() cannot be used as-is, as we have an atexit()
function installed (to remove an entire directory). this would have to
be refactored accordingly.

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.