Problems with KDE_stat on systems where the default locale is not utf-8

Daniel Winter dw at danielwinter.de
Fri Nov 21 08:34:52 GMT 2008

Am Wednesday 19 November 2008 21:42:23 schrieb Christian Ehrlicher:
> Hi,
>
> When QFile::encodeName() can't convert an unicode character into the
> system locale (== all locales except utf-8), the non-convertable
> character is replaced by a question mark. Now that the filename is
> broken, KDE_stat() can't do anything usefull and fails.
> For me looks like KDE_stat() and others are broken by design (when
> system locale is not utf-8) and we need a unicode version of KDE_stat().

Ok, you are talking about Windows, but is the problem I am seeing on Linux
related to this:

I have some files on a usb flash device (vfat) and well somehow they have a
weird encoding. Bash/Dolphin and apps are showing "?" or similar for some
chars.

The problem now is: I can not use that files with KDE at all. I can not even
rename them though Dolphin is showing the files and their size pretty well. I
have to start konsole and rename them using "mv" which is pretty complicated
if the file starts with a "?" char..