Problems with KDE_stat on systems where the default locale is not utf-8

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Nov 20 07:26:03 GMT 2008

Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
>Thiago Macieira schrieb:
>> Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When QFile::encodeName() can't convert an unicode character into the
>>> system locale (== all locales except utf-8), the non-convertable
>>> character is replaced by a question mark. Now that the filename is
>>> broken, KDE_stat() can't do anything usefull and fails.
>>> For me looks like KDE_stat() and others are broken by design (when
>>> system locale is not utf-8) and we need a unicode version of
>>> KDE_stat().
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to fix this issue? Maybe a new class KLocalFile which
>>> wraps all KDE_foo functions?
>>
>> We don't fix that issue. We only support KDE 4 in systems where the
>> locale is UTF-8. We've announced and told the public about this for 3
>> years now.
>
>The problem is that you don't support plain utf-16 systems like windows
>at all and rely on an encoded pathname for many low-level functions.
>If we can't find a fix I would suggest to drop windows support.

Ah, sorry.

I thought you meant Unix systems.

I recommend we don't use the KDE_xxx functions and we don't use
QFile::encodeName(). That won't work on Windows, like you said.

The Qt API will. Or, alternatively, the Win32 API will (the *W functions).

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358