Automatic completion mode

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 17 22:20:31 GMT 2008

On Monday 17 November 2008, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >
> > > Aaron and me both wrote that there is "short automatic" which would
> > > solve this problem.
> >
> > it still means that the first time you want to run "kons" after
> > having run "konsole" you have to press "Delete" ...
>
> Huh? Why that? I thought krunner would offer all registered applications
> (and anything in the history) as completions. In that case "kons" would
> be in the list of completions and thus it would be run even if you had
> run "konsole" before. But maybe that's not how krunner behaves. Then
> consider it a wish. ;-)

so ... you want Rafael's original request that you have to press the right
arrow key to get the completion?

because as it is, the autocomplete is what gets chosen if you hit "enter".

the issue is that the autocomplete is _automatic_

> > NOT Backspace, as
> > that will leave you with "ko", then you type the 'n' and you get
> > "kon(sole)" all over again. this is the confusing part and why i
> > really think that despite everythign else (including short automatic)
> > that backspace should equal delete here.
> >
> > my rational for that is this: the text caret is at the *end* of the
> > phrase:
> >
> > "kon(sole)|"
>
> Is it? Interesting ... and very confusing. With that rationale
> typing 's' should lead to
> "kon(sole)|s"

yes, it's not exactly clear =)

> > pressing backspace should delete what is to the left of the caret,
> > but it doesn't. it deletes the 'n'.
> >
> > so imho what should happen is that the caret should either remain at
> > the typed text:
> >
> > "kon|(sole)"
>
> That's how it is in KDE 3.5. Who had the crazy idea to put the text
> caret after the completion? :-)

dunno =)

> In view of Return committing the completion the placement of the caret
> does make some sense, but I still think it's odd. IMO, except for the
> result of pressing Return, the placement of the caret conveys the wrong
> message to the user.

i agree....

> > or backspace should be equivalent to delete.
>
> Considering the odd placement of the caret I have to agree. OTOH, with
> above rationale Delete shouldn't do anything since Delete should delete
> what is to the right of the caret, i.e. nothing. :-)

yeah, it's all twisted.

ok, so.. then we need to fix the autocompletion first to have the caret in the
right place, then deal with the automatic acceptance on enter .....

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se