kdereview exemption for PolicyKit-KDE

Trever Fischer wm161 at wm161.net
Sun Nov 16 18:28:09 GMT 2008

On Sunday 16 November 2008 07:50:55 am Tom Albers wrote:
> At Sunday 16 November 2008 03:28, you wrote:
> > Hi, I'm Trever, one of the 4 or so of us working on PolicyKit-KDE. For
> > the most part, it is as feature-complete as we planned for the 4.2
> > release, but it is still in playground. We'd like to request an exemption
> > to the normal kdereview period in order to get it in before the hard
> > feature freeze. Would this be possible?
>
> On November 4th(!) Allen has made a Last Call for kdereview stuff, because
> the freeze is at the 17th.
>
> You can not ask at the 16th to move stuff to kdereview for the 4.2 release.
> That means there is only one day to review it.....
>
> Best,
>
> Toma
Technically I sent the mail on the 15th, but with it being the weekend and all
I understand. We're not asking for the formal kdereview process, but are
instead asking for some kind of exemption.

Kevin does make a good point though:
> I'm honestly not hot on this in particular because it might become a very
> central part of our frameworks. I'd be more relaxed for something less
> critical.
If KDE had a tighter integration with policykit, that'd be really slick.
However, these are just the KDE gui bits. Our code is just a KDE frontend to
the authenticator. Without this in 4.2, KDE can still use policykit, but it
requires the user to have PolicyKit-gnome installed to authenticate or change
the default permissions.