IOSlaves kept passwords bug?

Lior Mualem lior.com at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:24:40 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday 03 November 2008, Lior Mualem wrote:
> > I'm working on enabling to keep password in the samba ioslave and I've
> > looked into the FTP slave's was of keeping a password and I've noticed
> the
> > following rather broken behaviour:
> > I enter the url "ftp://mysite" which requires me to enter with a user
> and
> > not as anonymous.
> > I give it one user(user1) and keep the password, then give it a different
> > user(user2) and keep his password.
> > On the third time I try to log in it works fine, I have to choice of 2
> > previously logged in users.
> >
> > So far so good, now here comes the weird part - When I look at my wallet,
> > both user/password pairs are kept under the anonymous user login -
> > "ftp-anonymous at mysite:-1".
> > It means that when I try to enter with the url "ftp://user1@mysite" it
> > doesn't know that I asked to save that user's password and if I save the
> > password again, it saves it under "ftp-user1 at mysite:-1"
> >
> > Is this the required behaviour?
>
> Well if it was saved into ftp-user1@ in the first place, then it wouldn't
> be
> used when doing ftp://yoursite, I think, since there is no explicit user
> in that username.
> The "-anonymous" is confusing, maybe it should be removed. But off the top
> of my
> head I don't see a way to do this differently, unless maybe we can iterate
> over all ftp-*@yoursite
> in kpasswdserver when looking for the available login+passwords. Feel free
> to have
> a look there (after all, this is kde-core-devel; if you want me to fix it,
> file a bug report
> and wait until it comes on top of the list - which can take a few years :-)

I had no intention of waiting for you to do it, I want to get my hands dirty
:-)

The reason I'm asking is that this seemed a bit flawed. Not the fact that
the saved users / passwords are kept under the anonymous user but the fact
that if I do specify a user on the URL, it doesn't remember the password.
I'll do the change and post a patch but I thought that there might be a
reason for the way it is now..