isolating builds within a module

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Nov 13 13:06:09 GMT 2008

On Thursday 13 of November 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 13 November 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 November 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > The time is not "wasted"...
> >
> > it absolutely is wasted. i spent 90+% of my build time yesterday waiting
> > for checks on non-libplasma. not one of those checks resulted in any
> > building of any other code that was being checked ..... because they
> > weren't changed!
>
> How should the buildsystem know without checking that ?
> The time is spent to ensure your build is correct.

 Given that it fails to install properly and as such it's not correct, that's
probably one more reason to call it wasted. Just try 'make' and 'make
install' in e.g. kdeui with kdecore modified, it will rebuild kdecore, but
will not install it.

> > is there any way to tell cmake "always build this
> > component with /fast?" when i run cmake for the first time? then it
> > becomes
>
> You mean like a cmake switch to make the fast targets the default ones ?
> This doesn't exist currently.

 It would be nice to have, together with /slow, /full or whatever for doing a
full check. I can handle the dependencies mostly myself, especially given
that I have to anyway.

 Also, BTW, if 'make install/fast' is for 'make install', what is the /fast
variant for 'make'? And please do not tell me it is 'make
<insert_something_manually_here>/fast'. Since I'm pretty sure I don't see any
all/fast in kwin's Makefile or elsewhere :(.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz