Wallet API documentation different from what it actually does

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Nov 13 07:41:20 GMT 2008

Michael Leupold wrote:
>Still I'd like to get this fixed but I'm unsure about which path to take
> and would like your opinion:
>1) Easy: Adapt the API documentation and suggest to use hasEntry()
>2) Medium: Insert a hasEntry() call in all of the read* client functions
> and make the methods do what the doc says.
>3) Proper: Add additional readPasswordNew DBus calls and make the
> current API use those to perform what's advertised.
>
>2) has the drawback of making the apps issue 3 DBus calls in case they
> already use the hasEntry() workaround. 3) has the drawback of
> cluttering the DBus interface with 6 extra methods.
>
>What do you think?

D-Bus roundtrips should be avoided: you should get all the information you
need in a single call. So either we change kwalletd to do what it says
it's going to do, or we try to circumvent another way.

You can use D-Bus errors instead of return values to signify a reading of
a key that doesn't exist.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358