move QCoreApplication::addLibraryPath call from KApplication to KComponentData

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Nov 12 18:46:25 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 19:00:17 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le lundi 10 novembre 2008, Matthias Kretz a écrit :
> > QBasicAtomicInt flag = Q_BASIC_ATOMIC_INITIALIZER(0);
> >
> > void someFunction()
> > {
> >   if (flag.testAndSetOrdered(0, 1)) {
> >     // this is only reached once
> >   }
> > }
> >
> > If testAndSet is atomic (I don't even see the need for the memory
> > barrier) there's only one thread that can return true from the testAndSet
> > call...
>
> You are right but that's assuming no code actually relies on what's done
> inside this:
>
> The next code show an example of problem.
>
> void someFunction()
> {
>   static Foo bar;
>   if (flag.testAndSetOrdered(0, 1)) {
>      bar = lazyInit(); //done only once
>   }
>
>   use(bar);   //might be done before bar has been initialized
> }
>

> Now I don't have enough context to know if it is or not dangerous in your
> particular case.

the context is:
1. lazyInit gets called in the ctor if the flag is 0. Since the code in the
ctor it's implicitly single threaded, there's no problem wrt. local data.

2. in lazyInit itself the KDE plugin paths are added to
QCoreApplication::libraryPath if the flag is 1. I.e. the first thread to reach
lazyInit (doesn't have to be the one where lazyInit was called from the ctor).

This affects global data and therefore you can construct a race scenario. But
that race is about a thread using the libraryPath information before the KDE
paths got added. I see no way to avoid this race.

And I didn't try to avoid this race. I used the atomic int in order to ensure
that exactly one thread adds the KDE plugin paths as early as possible --
nothing more.

Most of the discussion is academic anyway since the mechanism is meant for KDE
applications -- where KComponentData is normally instantiated before threads
are created or the mainloop is executed.

Please tell me when you think I may commit.

Regards,
	Matthias