QPrintDialog

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 30 10:04:41 BST 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008 08:51:40 Thomas Zander wrote:
> In Trolltech we added these to allow some companies as well as KDE to do
> exactly what you want;  show a KDE file dialog whenever some qt-only code
> shows the file dialog. (would be a great way to also get that ebn detector
> removed ;)
>
> so, Qt has hooks for the file dialog.  Implementing those hooks in
> KApplication
> means that any and all code using QFileDialog will not actually show the Qt
> one, but do whatever KApplication implements.
> Which naturally would be KFileDialog (at least on Unix).
>
> If you are interrested in doing this, I'd be happy. I've been postponing
> looking at how to do this for some time.
>
> Here are the signatures and dummy implementation;

Looks extremely ugly... :-(

Maybe we can implement a factory class properly, with virtual methods, for
those operations, allowing one to override any standard Qt dialog. KDE could
even provide its hooks in the form of a Qt plugin, so that any Qt-only
application uses KDE-style dialogs, just as it uses the Oxygen style.

Another thing to consider is whether those are allowed to return file names
only or full URLs. Since KDE applications would use KIO to open or save
files, full URLs would be preferable, including in the print dialog.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358