the right home for Phonon

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu May 29 00:51:17 BST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Thursday 15 May 2008 20:17:38 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 May 2008, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > > Open questions:
> > > a) should kdelibs 4.1 contain libphonon or should it depend on an
> > > external libphonon?
> >
> > I'd say that kdelibs should depend on libphonon from kdesupport. May bring
> > more users for phonon.
>
> Either way, we have the same issue with possible clashes between the Qt-
> release of libphonon and the KDE-release of libphonon, right?
>
> I think kdelibs just has to say "we need libphonon at least version x", but
> not care if it came with Qt or was built separately.
>
> The issue is only if we want to depend on a version of libphonon that is more
> recent than the version shipped with the Qt version we depend on.

Yes. This seems to be the case right now, in fact.
kdebase does not compile with qt-copy-trunk's phonon, it seems to require some more recent version of phonon (4.2, I'm told)

[ 14%] Building CXX object runtime/phonon/kcm/CMakeFiles/kcm_phonon.dir/globalconfig.o
/d/kde/src/trunk/kdebase/runtime/phonon/kcm/globalconfig.cpp: In member function 'QList<int> Phonon::GlobalConfig::audioOutputDeviceListFor(Phonon::Category, Phonon::GlobalConfig::HideAdvancedDevicesOverride) const':
/d/kde/src/trunk/kdebase/runtime/phonon/kcm/globalconfig.cpp:137: error: 'class Phonon::PlatformPlugin' has no member named 'objectDescriptionIndexes'

Is this intended?
If yes, then we -really- need a configure check that checks that the right version of phonon was found
(and that points to branches/phonon/4.2 -- nobody can guess that if he's not told on irc...)