Emoticonslib moved to kdereview

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon May 19 19:45:17 BST 2008

On Monday 19 May 2008, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le lundi 19 mai 2008, Carlo a écrit :
> > On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Olivier Goffart <ogoffart at kde.org>
wrote:
> > > * I don't like the exclude argument to the parseEmoticons
> > > function.  If you don't want some emoticons, just don't add them
> > > to the theme!!
> >
> > but since users are dumb they will complain about things like (c)
> > that renders as a coffe cup in kmail but they want it with kopete
> > since it's used by msn and maybe other protocols
> > and anyway since it's an optional argument if you don't like it
> > just don't use it :P it shouldn't be a performance problem to
> > lookup an empty qlist
>
> But what if i create a (c) emoticon which looks like ©, and that i
> want it in kmail as well.

Then you hack KMail's code. It's really that simple.

> If users want the MSN emoticon theme for kmail, they will get thoses
> stupid cup smeley, but this is probably what they want.   otherwhise,
> they would choose a better theme.

You are missing the point that I want to use a single emoticon theme for
all of KDE. I don't want the emoticons in Kopete to look different from
the emoticons in KMail. I just want less emoticons in KMail. And I'm
not alone. The functionality to not convert (a)-(z) to emoticons in
KMail was added because KMail's users asked for this functionality.
OTOH, nobody has ever asked for (c) to be replaced by © or some
emoticon.

As such, I'm all for keeping the exclude argument of parseEmoticons().

Regards,
Ingo