the right home for Phonon

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Fri May 16 21:14:40 BST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 07:15:44PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Matthias Kretz wrote:
> >b) how should the Qt build work with (external) libphonon depending on
> > Qt, but QtWebKit depending on libphonon in the future
>
> Right now, the only things that depend on Phonon in the Qt source tree are
> the examples and the mediaplayer demo.

Actually, that's not quite true, I just filed a defect report on the
trolltech site.

When you configure Qt with phonon, then you end up with a qtconfig that
links with gstreamer to provide the phonon-tab, which is a packager
nightmare, since you end up with your main qt package requiring lots of
shit, instead of having stuff nicely segregated in plugins, like happens
with the database stuff.