the right home for Phonon

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Thu May 15 22:34:24 BST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> how do you bootstrap it? (qt needs phonon, phonon needs qt)

It's a little finer grained than that.  IIUC QtWebKit depends on Phonon,
Phonon depends on lower-level parts of Qt.

I assume it would be something to the effect of Qt's configure script
automatically picks up the system Phonon if present, otherwise it uses it's
built-in copy of Phonon.  QtWebKit when being built would simply build against
which phonon the configure script for Qt used.

That's how I would do it anyways.  If I were a packager I would simply make Qt
depend on phonon (the separate type) and make sure it is built with whatever
flag tells it to ignore its built-in phonon.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne