the right home for Phonon

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Thu May 15 21:59:35 BST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 15 May 2008, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this morning Thiago, Dirk and I were talking about where the Phonon code
> > should live and who should release and ship what.
> >
> > This is what we agreed on:
> > - move libphonon (+examples, docs and tests) and all backends that don't
> >   depend on kdelibs (i.e. all that are in kdereview atm, but not xine) to
> >   kdesupport/phonon
> > - phonon will (in theory) release indepently from kdelibs and Qt
> >   - branches will be in branches/phonon
> >   - tags will be in tags/phonon
> >   - phonon releases will probably be in sync with KDE and Qt releases,
> > but may skip one or add one if needed
> > - phonon code that depends on kdelibs (KCM, Platform plugin, xine
> > backend, future gst backend KCM) all go to kdebase/runtime/phonon and
> > release together with kdebase (no more, no less)
> > - libphonon translations are merged into kdelibs package and released
> > with kdelibs
> > - kdesupport/phonon never freezes. Freezes happen only in branches/phonon
>
> One generic comment, i.e. not only for phonon: if we do a release, we tag
> all of KDE/, but not kdesupport/ (AFAIK).
> This makes it later on sometimes quite hard to get a matching kdesupport
> for some old KDE release. I'd suggest to also tag kdesupport when KDE/ is
> tagged.

kdesupport does not have any release policy or such. It's just for the
convenience of KDE developers.

Releases of software in kdesupport should copy to tags/<name>. They're always
releases independent of KDE releases.

> > Open questions:
> > a) should kdelibs 4.1 contain libphonon or should it depend on an
> > external libphonon?
>
> I'd say that kdelibs should depend on libphonon from kdesupport. May bring
> more users for phonon.

I'd like to do that for 4.1 already, too.

> > Oh, and I'll need buildsystem testers/helpers, especially for Win and
> > Mac.
>
> Any special questions ?
> You can also copy it already earlier so there is more time to get it
> working and then enable/make it mandatory later.
> (next week I won't be online a lot)

There's a lot of macros in kdelibs/cmake/modules. I don't know how much of
that I need. There are the unit test macros, a lot of path variables, extras
for Win and Mac that I don't understand...

So I have a phonon subdir ready for kdesupport. I'll commit it and won't
enable the subdir in kdesupport/CMakeLists.txt for now. I tested standalone
compilation of it (i.e. without the kdesupport stuff) and it works for me so
far.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de