Drop-in replacement for QFontComboBox, better previews

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu May 8 22:32:23 BST 2008

2008/5/8 Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic at gmx.net>:
> Then, while Cyrillic may be similar enough to Latin to say that a Cyrillic
> preview is enough, this certainly does not hold for CJK languages. I suspect
> that they will want a Latin sample too, and it's a question how exactly to
> provide both. I'd have to check this with people on kde-i18n-doc, then
> cross-check with usability.

The solution is to let the user configure the preview text. Users who
need Cyrillic letters will put them in their preview text, and those
who need Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, or a CJK language will do so as well.
I specifically have trouble differentiating between two letters of my
native language, and it is important for me to see both those letters
in any font before I select it.

> And when such mixture of scripts can be expected, there also comes the need
> to possibly manually specify the text, e.g. CJK users may want to look for a
> font containing a character frequent enough to be implemented by general CJK
> fonts (unsurprisingly, Dotan, who requested the feature, is a Hebrew
> speaker... I think :)

Ah, my concern addressed!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com