dialog

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon May 5 17:25:04 BST 2008

On Monday 5. May 2008 15:48:55 David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 05 May 2008, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Well maybe if Qt didn't mess up the size of windows which have
> wrapping-enabled labels, life would certainly be simpler...

I was hoping that Lubos' suggestion would work out.
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=119278517812594&w=2
Otherwise I'm afraid we fall back to the "Qt needs width-for-height in the
windowmanager spec for us to do something else than wildly guess"...

> But apparently the scrollbar was added for the case of very very long text,
> it's obviously a bug that it shows up in your case:
>
> r732679 | apaku | 2007-11-04 14:54:36 +0100 (Sun, 04 Nov 2007) | 5 lines
>
> Fix the cutting of text in the message boxes by removing the somewhat
> broken size-calculation code and put the text label into a qscrollarea.
>
> From my tests this makes the dialog size-up until about 1/4th of the screen
> and then adds the scrollbars as needed.

Looking at the code I removed, I see no reason why it would be 1/4th size, I'm
guessing that this was a happy usecase for apaku more then it was designed to
be like that :)

I'm not sure what the best way forward is, we went round the set of solutions
already in the above linked thread.  I just know that the current solution
needs work...

Does anyone want to put some time into a better solution?
If not, are there objections to the removal of the scrollarea code so the
common usecase works again and only for the uncommon (very very very long
filename) things start to become problematic.

Thanks!
--
Thomas Zander