Glimpse in kdereview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Mar 30 22:33:00 BST 2008

On Sunday 30 March 2008, Kåre Särs wrote:
> On Sunday 30 March 2008 23:59:40 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > suggestion: return a QImage instead of taking one by reference, and set
> > it to QImage() on failure. the return can easily check for img.isNull()
> > .. makes for a slightly more natural feeling API?
>
> I made it a reference to save one copy operation. if you have a big image
> it could be significant.

from the QImage docs:

"QImage objects can be passed around by value since the QImage class uses
implicit data sharing."

in this case the QImage is created in the method, then passed back by
reference to the QImage object in the consumer at which point the QImage in
makeQImage is destroyed (no further modifications) ... so no data is actually
copied, just pointers moved around in the dtprs. quite fast, no matter what
size the image actually is =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se