Strigidaemon

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 17:12:49 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008 12:36 pm, Anders Lund wrote:
> On fredag 28 Marts 2008, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > 2008/3/28, Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk>:
> > > What is wrong with strigidaemon?
> > >
> > >  It can't be that it is supposed to run at 80-99%CPU for hours after i
> > > boot! That is simply not acceptable.
> > >
> > >  It is set to index my home directory.
> >
> > It is well possible if you have a lot of data. Hours is however a very
> > long time.
>
> I have quite a lot of data, and for example kde source is quite a few files.
> still think it's overly long time, and I don't understand why it should run
> everytime i start up.

It should not be set to run everytime a computer is started up.  An
application like strigli needs to be very much under the control of the user,
for example:

The first time the computer starts (with a new distro or kde), a configuration
screen should come up (and allow configuration to be deferred and "remind me
later").  On that configuration screen it should be easy to select which
directories to be indexed (allowing easy exclusion of selected
subdirectories), and when they are to be indexed (again, easily allow
different directories to be indexed at different times.

The selections should also allow the user to specify which files to index, by
extension and/or MIME type.

The selections of when to index should include options like:
   * at specified times (which will end up most likely being nights) and dates
(I wouldn't index all my files every night, for one thing it's unnecessary
(sp?) wear and tear on the disk drive, as well as unnecessary power use--I
might index a certain small set of files daily, others I might index monthly
or less often (or maybe just on demand)
   * just before shutdown (i.e., an option to start indexing when the user
calls for a shutdown, and then shutting off the computer when indexing is
complete)
   * at startup--I'm almost willing to bet no one will choose this unless you
make it the default choice, in which case see my last paragraph, below

In addition, there should be easy to use tools on the toolbar to do things
like:
   * index a specified directory now
   * temporarily interrupt (i.e., pause) any indexing in progress (and then a
similar means to resume  (not restart, but with an option to restart) that
indexing)

Anything less, and you're just asking for a ton of user complaints.

Randy Kramer