Glimpse in kdereview

John Layt johnlayt at yahoo.com.au
Sat Mar 29 11:31:12 GMT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Kåre Särs wrote:

> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Kåre Särs <kare.sars at kolumbus.fi> wrote:

> > >  Glimpse is a simple scan application that only scans and saves images
> > > (no OCR). Glimpse uses libksane from extragears (not libkscan).

> extragears/graphics or kdegraphics (kdegraphics would mean that libksane
> would have to move to).

I don't know what the kdegraphics policies are, but I want to raise the
question of whether we should have two libraries in kdegraphics performing
exactly the same function, especially when libkscan is apparently being
worked on again (but not in trunk?).

While I appreciate that libkscan was unmaintained when you started and may not
have met your or Digikam's needs (and your work is certainly appreciated),
I'm reluctant to see a situation arise where we are supporting two competing
libraries without a clear idea of where we are heading.  True, this is
kdegraphics and not kdelibs, so the policy is more liberal, but by providing
both these as libraries for developers to use we're surely making some
promises around them with regards to ongoing support and stability?

Perhaps you can give us a better overview of the differences between libksane
and libkscan and why we should have both in kdegraphics?  What are the future
plans for libksane?  Do you see libksane eventually replacing a deprecated
libkscan with advanced features like OCR left to apps to implement?

Note I have no objections to Glimpse itself, the split between simple and
advanced scan apps makes sense to me, it's the libraries I have concerns
about.

Cheers!

John.

P.S. While we're on the issue, how is scanning currently being supported under
Windows and OSX?  If we had a library that was cross-platform by using the
native Win/OSX dialogs/drivers like QPrintDialog does, then it could be a
candidate for kdelibs?