kdereview/phonon/ds9

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 10:36:41 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008 15:02:24 Ian Monroe wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 5:05 AM, Luciano Montanaro <mikelima at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > >  Which backends should be the default?
> >
> > Whatever the distros get their hands on.
>
> This however is i a problem for me. KGoldrunner works well enough with the
> gstreamer backend, it sounds awful with the xine backend, because gstreamer
> can handle multiple AudioOutputs and Xine can't. So I don't know what to
> do, except starting the application with sound output disabled by default,
> and asking the players to select a suitable backend -- wich I'd prefer not
> doing.
>
> > Why we need to come up with a
> > more clear plan on how Phonon stuff gets released... if this is
> > confusing for us it's a bad sign.
>
> Well, it's for sure confusing to me... Any clarification would be
> gratefully welcomed.

On releases:
- libphonon gets released with KDE and Qt. KDE 4.0 shipped libphonon 4.0, Qt
4.4 will ship libphonon 4.1, KDE 4.1 will ship libphonon 4.2
- phonon-xine will only get released with KDE
- phonon-gstreamer get's released with Qt, but I will look into whether we
want to release phonon-gstreamer with KDE 4.1, too
- phonon-qt/ds will only get released with Qt unless some KDE-Windows/Mac
developer wants to do something there

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de