[rfc] Windows integration utilities - KDE::Windows namespace

Loïc Corbasson loic.corbasson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 11:11:40 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have the same fears as Aaron, now some questions on the patch's content:

2008/3/27, Jarosław Staniek <js at iidea.pl>:
>  /**
>   * @short Windows-specific functions needed for Windows integration
>   *
>   * This file provides some Windows-specific functions which
>   * Qt does not provide access to.
>  */
>
>  /**
>   \return a value from MS Windows native registry for shell folder \a folder.
>  */
>  KDECORE_EXPORT QString shellFoldersPath(const QString& folder);

I'm also wondering what we need this for, but you certainly know that
better than I do :-). An explanation would be welcome.

>  /**
>   Shows native MS Windows file property dialog for a file \a fileName.
>   Return true on success. Only works for local absolute paths.
>   Used by KPropertiesDialog, if possible.
>  */
>  KDECORE_EXPORT bool showFilePropertyDialog(const QString& fileName);

Now, this is maybe against "finer integration", but I do not see why
we shouldn't use our own dialog, which is way more advanced, as some
Windows applications also do?

>  /**
>   \return two-letter locale name (like "en" or "pl") taken from MS Windows native registry.
>   Useful when we don't want to rely on KSyCoCa.
>   Used e.g. by kbuildsycoca application.
>  */
>  KDECORE_EXPORT QString getLocaleName();

Would this be useful to apps other than KSyCoCa?

>  } // namespace Windows
>  } // namespace KDE
>
>  #endif  // Q_OS_WIN
>  #endif  // KDE_WINDOWS_H