[rfc] Windows integration utilities - KDE::Windows namespace

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 08:54:07 GMT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> KDE::Windows::showFilePropertyDialog()) but also shall be provided provided
> for finer integration with the OS at applications' level.

what do you mean by "finer integration with the OS at applications' level"?

i'm hoping it doesn't mean platform specific code in applications.... that
would seem like a real step backwards from the goal of cross platform
development. =)

other than the shellFoldersPath which i'm not clear on the use case for, the
rest look like they should be hidden behind a generic API that is implemented
equally for all supported platforms?

i find it awkward when x11-isms creep visibly into Qt's APIs, for instance,
and we should have a similar goal with kdelibs, no?

> Why not in kdesupport? kdesupport/kdewin32 is non-Qt lib, while our utils
> operate on QString (and will probably use containers too) for convenience.

of course, kdesupport is allowed to depend on Qt, just not kdelibs.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se