Feedback wanted: multiprocess KDED

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Tue Mar 25 09:38:11 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 10:30:55 David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> > > Are you going to move only specific services to sub-processes?
> >
> > All of them.
>
> This kills the purpose of KDED completely.
> The idea of KDED is: instead of each little service being provided by a
> separate daemon, having a single daemon with modules, one service per
> module. This minimizes the number of "background processes" needed by KDE
> applications (think in particular of people using one kde process in a
> non-kde environment, the number of daemons we start is already too big for
> them).
> This idea of (in-process) kded modules works well for simple things that
> are stable, called upon only occasionally (otherwise your "problem 2"
> appears indeed) (and ideally that don't show dialogs, especially not modal
> ones).
> This fits well for things that simply store some kde-central data
> (ktimezoned, kpasswdserver, kwalletd...), or that monitor something
> (networkstatus, kwrited, remotedirnotify...)
>
> If it doesn't fit for some services (like nepomuk), then why does nepomuk
> use kded in the first place instead of having its own daemon?

Ok, got it. That is why I asked before producing a patch. In the beginning
Nepomuk used its own daemon but I changed that to a kded module because I did
not know of the minimal purpose of kded. In this case, I will change the
NepomukServer back to an extra daemon which will then be started in startkde.

Cheers,
Sebastian