Google SoC Idea: web-interface library

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Mar 21 21:37:13 GMT 2008

Quoting Matej Svejda <mata at aw-modell.at>:

> Hi!
>
> I want to participate in Google's SoC and would like to hear your
> opinion on this idea for a proposal:
>
> A lot of KDE programs have web-interfaces. KGet just got one, KTorrent
> has had one for some time now, there's a web-interface script for
> Amarok and maybe some more I've missed. All these programs implement
> the same functionality. KTorrent (for example) has it's own small
> http-server with PHP support.
>
> My "idea" is to put all this into a library so that applications can
> really easily create web-interfaces. Besides the ones I've mentioned
> there are many other applications where a web-interface makes sense:
> Kiosk (once it has been ported to KDE 4), some KCM-modules, Kontact
> (maybe directly Akonadi), Juk, Strigi/Nepomuk, ....
>
> So here's my plan:
>
>   * create a simple, light-weight HTTP server using
> QTcpServer-functionality (maybe add features like mod_rewrite so
> web-frameworks like rails can be used)

You may want to take a look at the QxtWeb* classes in Qxt:
http://docs.libqxt.org/classes.html

>   * connect this web server to use Kross for executing scripts. This
> would give it instant ability to write code in Python, Ruby,
> JavaSciprt (?) and Java

And Falcon

>   * make adding objects and modules from the application to the
> web-frontend script possible through Kross
>   * maybe create a PHP backend for Kross since most web-software is
> developed in PHP
>  * port one of the existing web-interfaces to this solution or maybe
> create a new one
>
> So what do you guys think? Is this doable? Is this too short/long for
> a SoC project?

Creating a language backend for Kross is enough work for a SoC on its
own. The Java plugin was developed in SoC 2007:
http://code.google.com/soc/2007/kde/appinfo.html?csaid=677EEEE26D2CB937

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org