Kubuntu Settings in KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 20 20:55:52 GMT 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Kubuntu makes some changes to KDE's default settings.  Some are distro
> specific (e.g. no icons on the desktop) but I think some of these
> should go into KDE directly.

thanks for the list. the more downstreams that do this the better.

of course, some of these issues do belong on other lists (e.g. kwrite-devel,
panel-devel, etc).

> == kdelibs ==
>  * cryptodefaults: don't warn when submitting forms to unencrypted
>    sites, everyone does this all the time with Google etc
>  * kdeglobals: show previews in file manager by default
>  * kcookiejarrc: accept cookies by default (I find it hard to believe
> normal users really want to filter every single cookie)

+1 on these from me.

>  * kio_httprc: set Firefox userid on google.com, makes gmail and
>    calendar work

what about a Safari-ish userid? that's even closer to what we are (khtml or
webkit). does such a thing as that work at all?

>  * kwalletrc: don't run first time wizard, its more confusing than
>    than just asking for a password

of course, the problem here is that it becomes very hard to then know how to
configure this service. a entry in systemsettings might be called for?

> == kdebase ==
>
>  * dolphin: show information bar by default

indeed.

>  * ktip: don't run this.  Just kill it.  Kill it dead.

yes, i didn't get to the welcome plasmoid for 4.0 which will render this app
completely irrelevant.

>  * kwin: double click on window bar to maximise/minimise (does anyone
>  * use windowbar shading?)

ah, i love these kinds of questions. of course people use shading. the
question is not "does anyone" (because you'll just get a bunch of "i do"s
from various people; e.g. i'm one of the people who use this).

the reason *i* like double click for shading is that this button is not shown
by default. there's a maximize button by default, however. i do understand
that most computer users are used to the maximize behaviour thanks to
Windows.

however, i really am not overly wedded to the requirement of it being set to
window shade and could really care less if i have to configure this
behaviour.

in the end, this is really one that *Lubos* should decide on.

(also, small nitpick: it's maximize/restore)

>  * konquerorsu: NoDisplay in apps menu (root is bad)
>  * klipper: NoDisplay in apps menu (autostarted)
>  * kmenuedit: NoDisplay in apps menu (in right click menu)

+1

>  * systemsettings: NoDisplay in apps menu (in Computer and Favourites)
>  * Home.desktop: NoDisplay in apps menu (we have a Computer menu)

have you tested the "traditional" menu with this? does it still work out ok?

>  * click instead of hover on kickoff

-1, for reasons already discussed on panel-devel.

> == kdeutils ==
>
>  * kwalletmanager: NoDisplay in menu (available though systray applet)

and if it isn't shown? if people don't know it's there? *shrug* -1 from here.

> == kdenetwork ==
>
>  * kppplogviewer: NoDisplay in menu (available through kppp)

+1

> == kdepim ==
>
>  * NoDisplay on apps included in Kontact, users don't need two ways to
>    get to the same thing

it's not the "same thing" though. Kontact is groupware, the individual apps
are just that. this sounds like a fine choice to make for a distro that
decides to offer "just" kontact, but seems like a poor decision from an
upstream perspective.

in the end, this should be left up to the kde-pim project IMHO.

> == kdemultimedia ==
>
>  * Add an autostart file for kmix, set main window hidden by default

+1

> == kdesdk ==
>
>  * Don't show profile option for kate, its confusing and gets in the
>    way of the app just starting

+1, but only if there are no profiles saved. if someone has saved profiles, i
think it should get shown.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se