Kubuntu Settings in KDE

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 17:18:52 GMT 2008

My 2 cents:

On Thursday 20 March 2008 16:42:40 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>  * Sub menus are bad.  To simplify the k-menu, Utilities has been
>    flattened to one level.  The old kcontrol categories
>    (X-KDE-settings-hardware etc) have been marked not to be included
>    to stop them appearing in Lost and Found.

Probably a good idea, especially the kcm hiding.

>  * cryptodefaults: don't warn when submitting forms to unencrypted
>    sites, everyone does this all the time with Google etc
>  * kdeglobals: show previews in file manager by default

I'd say this would be good.

>  * kcookiejarrc: accept cookies by default (I find it hard to believe
> normal users really want to filter every single cookie)

They can say "do this for all cookies" on the first one, right?

>  * kio_httprc: set Firefox userid on google.com, makes gmail and
>    calendar work

I don't think this is something KDE should set.

>  * kwalletrc: don't run first time wizard, its more confusing than
>    than just asking for a password

I tend to agree.  Power users who want to do fancy things with kwallet will
use the manager anyway.

> == kdebase ==
>
>  * dolphin: show information bar by default

I'd say that's down to the maintainer.

>  * ktip: don't run this.  Just kill it.  Kill it dead.

I thought it was agreed we would...  Evidently, that didn't happen.

>  * kwin: double click on window bar to maximise/minimise (does anyone
>  * use windowbar shading?)

This was discussed some time ago, and I think it was decided that it would be
best to leave it.  And, for the record, I use it.

>  * konquerorsu: NoDisplay in apps menu (root is bad)
>  * klipper: NoDisplay in apps menu (autostarted)

Doesn't mean someone won't quit it then change their mind.

>  * systemsettings: NoDisplay in apps menu (in Computer and Favourites)

No guarantee that will exist with other application launcher applets (possibly
not an issue for a distro, but is for KDE).

>  * kmenuedit: NoDisplay in apps menu (in right click menu)

Again, no guarantee of that interface in other ALI applets.

>  * Home.desktop: NoDisplay in apps menu (we have a Computer menu)

Not sure Home belongs in "Apps" anyway...

>  * click instead of hover on kickoff

This was discussed on panel-devel, it was decided to keep it as hover.

> == kdeutils ==
>
>  * kwalletmanager: NoDisplay in menu (available though systray applet)

Assuming systray applet it visible (I always hide it, because most of the time
I don't want it clogging up my panel, but occasionally I want to access the
manager).

> == kdenetwork ==
>
>  * kppplogviewer: NoDisplay in menu (available through kppp)
>
> == kdepim ==
>
>  * NoDisplay on apps included in Kontact, users don't need two ways to
>    get to the same thing

Unless they don't want to run Kontact, but only KMail, for example.

> == kdemultimedia ==
>
>  * Add an autostart file for kmix, set main window hidden by default
>
> == kdesdk ==
>
>  * Don't show profile option for kate, its confusing and gets in the
>    way of the app just starting

I'm all for just starting things...

Alex

--