Problem with KActions stored in multiple action collections

Michael Jansen info at michael-jansen.biz
Tue Mar 18 09:31:28 GMT 2008

Hi

From the qt doc

    Actions are added to widgets using QWidget::addAction(). Note
    that an action must be added to a widget before it can be used;
    this is also true when the shortcut should be global (i.e.,
    Qt::ApplicationShortcut as Qt::ShortcutContext).

That's what happened to Parker. The KActionCollection returned from
KXMGUIClient::actionCollection() gets the MainWindow added implicitely ( see
KXMLGUIClient::beginXMLPlug ) but a actionCollection created with "new
KActionCollection()" not.

I don't know why or even if it worked before, Parker says it worked. A short
grep over kdebase lead me to the conclusion a KActionCollection is mainly
created with new for global shortcuts and these work without a
associatedWidget.

There is one other use case in konqmainwindow but this actionCollection is
getting added to a KonqBookmarkMenu somehow utilizing a kmenu and ... i got
lost there ...  looks like qt magic above my head.

Question is. Should it work without addAssociatedWidget(). If not i would
propose to add this requirement to the documentation of KActionCollection.

Mike