Global Shortcuts

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 08:50:27 GMT 2008

Am Montag, 17. März 2008 23:29:03 schrieb Olivier Goffart:
> Le lundi 17 mars 2008, Anders Lund a écrit :
> > On Monday 17 March 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > Global shortcuts should be no different: they should show up in the
> > > menus. But, of course, only when they are enabled. So I'd say that
> > > enabling them by default -- *reasonable* defaults -- is the best way to
> > > discover them.
> >
> > The problem is that to some people, having a global shortcut to toggle
> > the display of the kopete contact list is reasonable, to others it is
> > not. Who decides? (obviously the individual application developer, who is
> > in power of assigning global shortcuts, and who will often feel that his
> > application has a reasonable reason for using them)
> >
> > And what menu should those shortcuts appear in? Only kicker appears to be
> > well behaved, as it provides a leftclick menu that shows the global
> > shortcuts. But then other guilty apps such as kopete does something else
> > when left clicked.
>
> I would say system tray icon menu.

Guess what, this is also what Ellen (OpenUsability) considered to be a good
idea when we talked about it a long time ago. It fails for all the apps that
don't have a tray icon and for many of them global shortcuts don't make
sense - they do for some, however. Not a strong reason not to do it IMHO.

--
Yes? Yes? Yes? Yes? Hoo-Haaa! YIKES!
It's like poetry.