Mixing KDE3 and KDE4

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 17 14:12:36 GMT 2008

On Monday 17 March 2008 13:48:30 Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  I don't think that really solves anything. Apps indeed could save the path
> with the command, that's quite possibly even how that was meant with the
> XSMP protocol. However in practice the app could move (which is presumably
> minor enough to be ignored) and, IMHO more importanly, you still may need
> the wrapper script to do the necessary setup. Some builds may require
> KDEDIR set, or XDG_DATA_DIRS may possibly need the proper ordering of
> KDE3/KDE4 paths, or what do I know. XSMP actually has support for storing
> the environment too, but that doesn't seem to be feasible in practice, as
> some of those mustn't be changed (e.g. DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS I guess).
> Then instead of using a flag to figure out whether to use a wrapper you
> need to decipher this from the path.

That's still telling ksmserver what command it wants to be executed. Instead
of "kwrite", kwrite is asking ksmserver to start it with "kde4 kwrite"
or "kde4build kdevelop".

As long as you don't restrict this to the KDE version, but instead make it
more general, I have no problems with it.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358