Mixing KDE3 and KDE4

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Mar 17 12:56:20 GMT 2008

On Monday 17 of March 2008, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >- session management doesn't work - ksmserver restores "its" version
> > > (i.e. run KWrite from KDE3 in KDE4, you get the KDE4 version after
> > > next login)
>
> Which is exactly what I'd expect.

 Strange expectations. Note that I'm not talking about the case of upgrading
from KDE3 to KDE4.

> So I guess the question is: Which drawbacks are more severe?

 I don't see any drawbacks with my version (besides breaking your
expectations, sorry :) ).

> And is the problem with mixing KDE 3 and KDE 4 actually a problem at all? Or
> is there simply a difference between Lubos's expectations and reality?

 I guess there's no problem with distros that put everything in /usr, since
they already have this solved by the problem of having only one version. But
the reason why I wrote the mail that I wanted to get feedback on what others
think about it.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz