Enhancement: KLineBufferedProcess

Till Adam till at kdab.net
Tue Mar 11 20:46:31 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 21:18:56 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2008, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to introduce my example of KLineBufferedProcess, which
> > should ease the handling of line oriented output of processes. Users
> > would be for example KGpg where the interaction with gpg is line
> > based.
>
> KGpg is a very bad example. It should really be ported to gpgme (or
> rather libkleo in kdepim). Werner Koch has repeatedly stated that gpgme
> is the one and only correct way to interact with gpg.

Which is what is currently happening in trunk. The new Kleopatra can do
both OpenPGP and SMIME in a unified UI. It interacts with GpgME only.
When it's finished it will provide a one-stop-shop service for signing
and encryption of files and emails (and of course verification and decryption
as well) including standard user interaction, dialogs, wizards, etc.
This is part of the gpg4win2 project (the succesor of
http://www.gpg4win.org/). While this project focuses on Windows, the
functionality works on the other KDE platforms as well, of course. The
final version will integrate with both KMail and Konqueror/Dolphin,
currently its clients are Explorer and an Outlook plugin, interestingly.
Access to the service is via a text protocol (gpg's assuan), but of course
KMail and the rest of KDE will likely go through libkleo (or it's successor).
There's no dbus service planned, atm, since Werner wants to audit dbus
before that's an option.  Not sure if he'll ever do that.

Anyhow, a bit of an off-topic heads up, if you have more questions
about this, please ping any KDABian or post to the pim list.

Cheers,

till

--
Till Adam
KDAB - platform independent software services