Call for help on inotify replacement for non-Linux

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Mon Mar 3 17:12:35 GMT 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 17:58:42 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2008 17:31:47 Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> > For nepomuk I implemented a kded module that monitors file operations
> > like rename and delete and updates the metadata accordingly. The problem
> > is that it depends on inotify which is linux-only. Sadly I cannot use
> > KFileWatch since I need move signals that include both the source and the
> > dest URL.
> >
> > Question is: how can this be implemented for WIN or MAC and can we extend
> > KDirWatch to emit these signals and who can help with that?
>
> How about the systems where inotify is not present, like older Linux, or
> Solaris or the BSDs?

exactly. How can it be handled there?

> Why didn't you use QFileSystemWatcher? Or instead extend KDirWatch like you
> needed it to?

That is exactly what I am asking about: extending KDirWatch. I just would like
some help with that. At the time when I implemented it, it was way faster to
get it running with inotify than to understand KDirWatch completely.
Especially since then I would have had to implement the stuff for non-inotify
systems, too.

Cheers,
Sebastian