Procedure for RFC and PATCH

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Jun 29 10:10:55 BST 2008

Hi,

On Sunday 29 June 2008 01:11:27 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I have had an RFC and a PATCH posted for some time now.  Perhaps for
> somewhat longer because I was a bit confused about it. :-|
>
> IAC, I have now figured it out and added a correction for a bug that
> needs fixing even if my suggestion and patch are not adopted.
>
> My question is how long does this need to be posted without any adverse
> comments before I should go ahead and commit it?

I didn't read your mails, but in general it works like that:
- if there is no response for a patch in 1-2 weeks, you should send a warning
with "will commit tomorrow". If still no response, do it. This of course
highly depends on the area where you want to commit. If the app/lib has no
real maintainer or commit policy, this is fine. Some teams may have different
policies, so if the code in question has an active maintainer, try to
communicate directly with them/him on the most specific mailing list.
- for RFC you can't do anything. If there is no response, either people are
not interested in it, or they missed. One more try/ping for that thread might
be ok, but if there is still no response, you can't do much. If the RFC is
about introducing new code, follow the patch way, but respect the feature and
string freezes, and again the individual policies for a team.

Andras