kded won't start anymore

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jun 27 14:42:51 BST 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:17:36PM +0200, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes I think so too.
> >
> > One could create a plasmoid that checks every x seconds whether kded is still
> > running and displays a button to restart, if not. This way it would use 0
> > space if kded is active and help the users that do not know what's wrong if
> > cookies, global shortcuts etc. do not work anymore.
> >
> > Sven
>
> Or kded could just restart on its own like plasma does.

Done now. This functionality is now available to all unique applications, using
KCrash::setFlags(KCrash::AutoRestart) (after the kapplication exists).
It works like the plasma handler (which I'll port to that shared code on monday),
i.e. after a crash the autorestart is only re-enabled after 10 seconds.
So it's no longer "one crash and you're doomed", it's now "two crashes within
10 seconds and you're doomed", and I think you'd have to be a pretty fast
clicker to trigger the crashing action twice in 10s.

> No point in exposing that to the user at all.

I disagree, and this is why you still get drkonqi from the first kded crash: it's useful
for bug reports, and to know that something's wrong with your kde... this way
if you do trigger "two crashes in 10s" and cookies and global shortcuts stop working,
you can easily conclude that it might be related to that drkonqi crash you got.
But of course after that you don't get a drkonqi for each crash, it would just be annoying
for no purpose. You're supposed to report the bug on the first crash :)
On that note, the favicon crash is fixed too.