kwallet and QCA

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:45:11 BST 2008

> For historic reasons KIO and
> KWallet landed in this "KDE desktop environment"

Those 'historic reasons' presumably include the licensing issue that Qt is GPL - which,
as I understand it, would not be acceptable for gnome.  If Nokia were prepared to re-license the non-GUI
components of Qt (eg. QtCore, QtNetwork) more permissively that might change.  Of course it would not make
business sense for them to do that for the whole suite.

One alternative is writing the code with glib (using their type system) and then writing a C++ wrapper
which provides a Qt/KDE style interface to give a consistent feel for KDE programmers.  Unfortunately
that means:

1)  Writing more code in the first place because glib/C is less efficient that Qt in terms of features/lines-of-code
2)  Writing lots of glue code between the two layers, which will have some performance hit.

Regards,
Robert.