Change label to checkboxes in menus

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Tue Jun 17 10:23:09 BST 2008

2008/6/13 Ellen Reitmayr <ellen at kde.org>:
> Hi everybody,
>
> you are absolutely right, A and B is ok, but C is not. A is preferred
> generally preferred.
>
> If the verb includes a clear opposite, ("Show"/"Hide",
> "Activate"/"Deactivate"), B may also be used.
>
> In the example below ("Open each folder in the same window"), the verb does
> not include a clear opposite (plus the effect will not be immediately
> visible). Here, you should always have the same label (A), like in a config
> dialog.
>
> ** That's the essence, but if you want to see why, read on ;-) **
>
> The rationale is that it must be definitely clear what the current setting
> is and what will happen when you click the item.
>
> Those items both indicate that the toolbar is off:
> Show toolbar
> [ ] Show toolbar
>
> Those items both indicate that the toolbar is on:
> Hide toolbar
> [x] Show toolbar

From the point of view of translators, I would like to add that if you
use (A), i.e.
"[x] Show toolbar" it should have different translation context than
(B), i.e. "Show toolbar" as in some languages it translates
differently. For example in Polish (A) would be "Pokazuj pasek
narzędzi" and (B) would be "Pokaż pasek narzędzi". If there is no
context, it wouldn't be even possible to differentiate between one
place where (A) is used and other place where (B) is used. And in
general I think (B) would be easier to translate in all languages and
is clearer than (A), so IMO it should be preferred.

--

	Krzysztof Lichota