Moving SvgPart from kdegraphics to kdebase/runtime

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Mon Jun 16 19:33:20 BST 2008

Le lundi 16 juin 2008, Jakob Petsovits a écrit :
> Hi list,
>
> Today I had wanted to fix Konqueror so it can also display SVG icons on the
> about:konqueror page. Seems I didn't get to that fix though -
> unfortunately, Konqueror cannot display SVGs in web pages by itself
>
> The reason for this is that SVG support requires the SvgPart in
> kdegraphics, which I don't have installed in my KDE 4 dev environment. One
> would assume that this is the case for a lot of people out there, and all
> of those are going to miss out on SVGs in web pages.
>
> Worse yet, web developers can't rely on those being supported, which is an
> unfortunate situation considering that SvgPart enables this functionality
> with a single .cpp file that is only minimally larger than its header.
>
> So, for the sake of W3C standards compliance, can we please move SvgPart to
> kdebase/runtime so that it's installed everywhere where KHTML shows up?
> Or maybe kdelibs itself, depends on what you think is more appropriate.
> Given the size of the codebase, I can't imagine any of those to pose any
> problem, especially when compared to the obvious benefits.
>
> Please? Thanks,
>   Jakob

I'm not really in favor of that.

PDF is a standard, and really widelly spread on internet.  And you need okular
in kdegraphics to open it.  And it's not a problem.

Konqueror works nice without SVG support, it's not a hard dependencies.

Konqueror should detect svg at runtime, and just show a message to the user
saying that no svg plugins are installed.

Also, which others applicaiton can make use of it?
If it's only konqueror, it could go in apps/konqueror.

Now, if you have more strong arguments, I may change my mind :-)