A note on keyboard accelerators in non-Latin scripts

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Jun 15 01:35:32 BST 2008

> [: Andriy Rysin :]
> Let me just add it in the way I observed it and correct me if I am wrong.

I was refering only to accelerators attached to text items.

For Ctrl shortcuts, however we now get Latin instead of non-Latin character
(part by X, part by something else?) is fine and consistent for Latin+non-
Latin layout combinations, since shortcuts do not change with language
(Ctrl+S remains Ctrl+S, etc). Frankly, due to non-disjunctivity there's just
no way to have this right for Latin+Latin combinations (e.g. Ctrl+Z/Y in
QWERTY/QWERTZ layouts), but since noone is complaining from that side...

However, for accelerators (which may came either by Alt+<key>, or just <key>
when inside a menu) non-Latin cannot be replaced by Latin character just
like that, as accelerators are linked to GUI text, which can be either. So X
just sends the character from the current layout, and then comes the problem
of useless accelerators that I describe in my previous post.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)