kwallet and QCA

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jun 11 14:14:20 BST 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 11:39:05 nf2 wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > nf2 wrote:
> >> Therefore the
> >> first thing necessary for collaboration is a decision on a standard
> >> programming language, library stack and maybe API style for this layer.
> >
> > Which is why I don't think such a layer will ever exist, because we will
> > never agree.
>
> I know. But if developers are unable to create a single coherent
> platform layer then i guess distributors are forced to make decisions.
> And some of them have already flipped the coin, i'm afraid.

I don't see a problem with ISVs choosing whichever toolkit suits them best. As
long as they can integrate with the desktop whichever that is, it should be
fine.

That's why working with specifications and leaving the coding aside makes
sense.

Distributors that don't ship the essential libraries should be shot anyways
and deserve to die a horrible death. Both Qt and GTK are standardised in the
LSB 3.1, 3.2 and will be even more deep in 4.0.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358