Use of library names (Akonadi, Solid, Nepomuk, Phonon etc.) in user interfaces

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jun 7 13:55:10 BST 2008

On Saturday 07 June 2008, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Saturday, 7. June 2008, Robert Knight wrote:
> > I am not sure what you could use for Akonadi as its scope is very
> > broad. ?"Akonadi Calendaring/Mail/Organisation/Backup/Tea Making" is
> > probably too long for a menu item ;)
>
> I believe that the first three can be conveniently covered by the standard
> Personal Information Management term, or PIM, while backup and tea are
> probably not Akonadi's main concerns anyways.

PIM is actually pretty geekspeaky as well. very few people i speak with know
what "PIM" is and when i expand it for them to "personal information
management" it's equally fuzzy.

Mail & Calendaring, while a generalization and simplification of what it does,
is something that everyone knows and understands. Messaging & Calendaring
might also work, if not for the possible confusion with IM?

Akonadi is a hard one due to its scope. but when labelling it in the UI, it's
probably possible to easily create context appropriate shortcuts in the
verbage.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se