kwallet and QCA

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jun 4 22:55:44 BST 2008

nf2 wrote:
>> along with he implied shared location and locking mechanism, you're
>> quite right: that would be sufficient indeed.
>>

>The word "sufficient" somehow suggests that this would be the easier and
>more realistic approach. I'm afraid it's not. It makes the whole system
>more complex, takes ages to formulate and implement (twice) and after
>all has no advantages compared to just adopting and improving *one*
>existing implementation.

I don't think either approach would be sufficient.

If the goal is to type the password once, you need a central daemon that
keeps the wallet/keyright/whatchacallit open. It doesn't matter if KDE
knows how to read the GNOME keyright file format or vice-versa, if the
password to decrypt it can't be obtained from somewhere.

Or am I missing something?

I guess you could store the password centrally and then leave it to each
individual program to open the file, lock it for reading, decrypt and
then unlock, but that looks like a suboptimal approach.

I would prefer a standardised interface via D-Bus and a non-standardised
file format.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358