kwallet and QCA

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Wed Jun 4 02:53:55 BST 2008

I was also pondering about sharing the password storage. My approach
would be somehow similar the KIO-Giobridge approach: Look if KWallet can
be served by gnome-keyring in a migration phase, and as a second step
write a thin Qt/C++ wrapper to the actual GLib based API to get the full
keyring power (perhaps the KDE KWallet API can be deprecated later on).
Similar to GIO, the IPC stuff inside keyring appears to be more complex
than a simple D-Bus service - there are direct socket connections with a
custom wire-protocol - therefore writing the client twice wouldn't make
much sense to me. Just linking it in process with a Qt/C++ language
binding seems more straight forward.

Actually - as i'm almost done with KIO-GIOBridge - my plan is to start
coding such "thin" Qt/C++ bindings to several GLib based infrastructure
libraries (GIO, keyring,...) soon - as working name i thought of
"libkommodity".

I might disagree with Kevin here a bit - i don't think that trying to
standardize D-Bus interfaces (the DAPI approach) and having multiple
client and service implementations gets us any further. If libraries
developed by GNOME fit our needs - lets just use them.

Regards,
Norbert