KDE 4.1 Changelog?

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Tue Jun 3 23:36:46 BST 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008, Robert Knight wrote:
> Updating a single XML changelog which is kept in a completely different
> part of the tree from which individual developers normally work is an
> awkward process.  I think this explains why it rarely seems complete.

Well before it was a .php file which developers had to maintain in the same
awkward directory, so this is at least progress. :-/

> gnomies keep a simple text based ChangeLog file in the root of each
> project and then run a script to build the final log (in whatever
> format).  That would probably get better results.  Plus it would be
> easier to automatically ping the right developers to provide an
> up-to-date log.
>
> I presume there are reasons why an XML file was chosen, can anyone
> enlighten me?

To be honest I prefer XML over "simple text-based" since I've never really
understood the standard text-based ChangeLog format.  The XML in this case is
really not hard to understand or too unwieldy IMHO.

> > when we commit bugfixes
> >
> > > since they will not be reflected in a 4.0.6 changelog
>
> Do we not have any tools to do this automatically from the "BUG: XYZ"
> commit messages?

Even if we not, not all bug fixes go against a reported bug.  We'd need to
comb through the svn log anyways, and I think we'd get a better ChangeLog if
developers put a little bit of work toward updating their part of the
ChangeLog instead of having a couple of people poring through the svn log
between each release.

Perhaps we can make that easy by making a tool to add the commit message to
the ChangeLog automatically.

i.e. a
CHANGELOG:product=juk field that we could add with BUG, FEATURE, etc.

I will volunteer to merge the Feature Plan into the XML changelog if that's
the route we're taking though.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne