KDE 4.1 Changelog?

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 17:01:20 BST 2008

Hello,

Apologies if I am treading on ground which has already been discussed
in-depth here:

Updating a single XML changelog which is kept in a completely different
part of the tree from which individual developers normally work is an
awkward process.  I think this explains why it rarely seems complete.

gnomies keep a simple text based ChangeLog file in the root of each
project and then run a script to build the final log (in whatever
format).  That would probably get better results.  Plus it would be
easier to automatically ping the right developers to provide an
up-to-date log.

I presume there are reasons why an XML file was chosen, can anyone
enlighten me?

> when we commit bugfixes
> > since they will not be reflected in a 4.0.6 changelog

Do we not have any tools to do this automatically from the "BUG: XYZ" commit messages?

> We do
> have the goals page that should give an overview at a reasonable level.

That has the same problem really.  It is disconnected from the other heavily
used tools (bugs.kde.org, files in whatever part of the tree).

Regards,
Robert.