format date and includeSeconds

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Mon Jul 28 16:48:33 BST 2008

Hello,

On Jul/28/2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008 15:58:54 Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > > That is an incorrect way of handling time.  It is in the 54th minute,
> > > not 55th minute.  :55 implies time of :55.0 to :55.59, nothing more
> > > and nothing less.  It is exact and should not get rounded, regardless
> > > if a second is displayed.  So I would say Kmail is doing it right.
> >
> > That was not what I was expecting as a user. So:
> >
> > a) or I have a very rare ideas, as user or
>
> I'll be rather blunt: you have very rare ideas. No offense meant, though.

no problem :-)

> Everything else uses time truncation, not rounding. The only rounding
> that happens is in human speech and at a level higher than minutes.
> (14:12 becomes "quarter past 2" or something similar)
>
> Just think of a watch, such as those on VCRs, DVDs, TVs, you name it:
> if it doesn't let you set the seconds, it'll set them to 0 when you
> set the time.  How long will it take for the displayed "HH:MM" to
> advance one minute? 30 seconds or 60 seconds?

very good thought and comparation. When I see 17:44 (just now in my
mobile) I expect that it's sometime from 17:44:00 and 17:45:00. With my
rounding function 17:44 would mean sometime between 17:43:31 and
17:44:30. Very confusing.

Funny that Thunderbird _I think_ rounds. More information, if you don't
mind and just for curiosity in some hours.

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x17756391
	http://pinux.info