format date and includeSeconds

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Mon Jul 28 13:56:09 BST 2008

On Friday 25 July 2008 16:08:26 Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a small issue in KMail, and tracing it I got to the file:
> kdelibs/kdecore/localization/klocale.cpp
>
> "Problem": when kmail has a mail with this date (checking the headers):
> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:54:45 +0200
> (for example)
>
> In the kmail standard view I get this date:
> 06-07-08 15:54
>
> In my opinion it should say 15:55, not 15:54.

That is an incorrect way of handling time.  It is in the 54th minute, not 55th
minute.  :55 implies time of :55.0 to :55.59, nothing more and nothing less.
It is exact and should not get rounded, regardless if a second is displayed.
So I would say Kmail is doing it right.

Also you will run in to hour, day, and year problems as you describe later.
It is also incorrect.  It isn't midnight yet, and the date is wrong.  It
should be 01-01-10 (which again, it really isn't for another 29 seconds).
With time sensitive delivery, that 29 seconds could matter.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
celeste at kde.org
KDE Usability Project